The most cost-effective piece of equipment any photographer can buy is a flash unit that can be triggered off-camera. Learning to use one effectively will do wonders for the quality of your photography, and Strobist is the place to learn it. (I mean, besides "wherever you use your camera". Obviously.) One of the main sponsors of the website, Midwest Photo, has just released the LumoPro LP120, a new flash that looks to be an excellent piece of gear.
The LP120 is completely manual -- you have to think about how you're using it and how you're making your exposure. But this is really not as hard as it sounds, and Strobist makes it pretty simple to learn. In exchange for being a little further up the learning curve than a TTL speedlight, it's a fraction of the price without sacrificing any of the control. It has many options for connecting to your camera, six power levels, the head zooms and swivels, and it has a two-year warranty backing it up.
I've shopped at Midwest Photo before and have been quite happy, and they're actively involved in the discussions at Strobist and on Flickr. It's great to see this kind of win-win situation, where we get good, inexpensive equipment, and a company worth doing business with makes a profit. I wish I could justify picking up an LP120, but I just got a Vivitar 285HV not too long ago. It, or the next generation, will definitely be the next flash I pick up though.
No comments:
Post a Comment