The area I went to is open to the public, but I don't think it's an actual park. There's one rotting tree in particular that always has interesting things living in it, so I went straight there. Immediately, I saw a long insect, vaguely dragonfly-like in form, flying next to it and got in close to take a photo. Two things immediately caught my eye: first, the black and yellow 'warning' coloration of a wasp, and second, the other five or six I was immediately next to.
I didn't remember exactly what they were until I got home: giant ichneumon wasps. This species is remarkable for its parasitoid lifestyle. The female lays her eggs in the wood-dwelling larvae of another wasp species by drilling through the tree and into the larval wasp with a long, sharp ovipositor. The larval ichneumons grow inside the other wasp until pupating -- this is invariably fatal to the other wasp -- and what I came across today was a crowd of males racing to fertilize one or more females still inside the tree.
After moving on, I found another bee on a tree root. It either couldn't fly or didn't want to, though eventually climbed very quickly up the tree. I'm not sure if it was a dark breed of honey bee, or one that had lost most of its hairs, but its abdomen was entirely bald and black.
Leaving the grounds, I decided to take a quick shot of a few small leaves. I almost didn't because it's the kind of shot I've taken many times, but I felt like I should see how well the bracket worked for more still-life types of macro images. Looking at the image on the viewfinder, I was surprised to see a little bug of some kind in perfect focus. I have no idea what it is exactly; maybe an aphid or something.
No comments:
Post a Comment