Continued from Part 1
I'm sort-of coming to the conclusion that it's not worth making the plate myself. There are several straight brackets, some with cold shoes (or even hot shoes, with a PC terminal) for under $10 on Amazon and eBay. I feel like they'd be a lot more secure than the pre-drilled metal braces I've been using, and lighter, for only a few dollars more. I'm still looking for a good inflexible plastic plate, though.
I'm looking at brackets like this: a cheap Opteka and this Nikon. They're designed for a compact camera to use as a plate. I'm guessing that this is the sort of thing I'll be able to get for cheap on eBay, from a Fotodiox or one of the Hong Kong distributors.
Having a shoe on a store-bought bracket is actually not a selling point for me. I don't want the flash to be fixed in one spot, and I've been using a mini-ballhead, with the flash mounted on a short TTL coil cord. I'd like to keep using that, although I don't have a TTL flash. For one thing, it's very adjustable. For another, the connection is much more secure than a PC sync cord, which slips out of the camera's terminal very easily. I'm also hoping to move up to a TTL flash this summer, but I'll post on that separately.
No comments:
Post a Comment