I am back from my trip, with 2 gigs of photos to sort through -- having already culled the obvious ones while shooting -- so I'll have some new work online very soon. I did some birdfeeder ambush photography, where I set up my tripod about ten feet from my mom's feeder and waited for birds. As it turns out, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM is an excellent, useful lens for many things, but bird photography is not really one of them. But it's my longest lens, except for the 28-105mm, which isn't really as sharp. (I do need to sit down and really compare them at 100mm though -- the Macro loses some if its sharpness as you focus closer to infinity, and while I'm sure it's still the winner, I wonder by how much.)
Most excitingly, I ordered a Canon 40D. This will be a big step up from the Rebel XT I'm shooting with now -- better high ISO performance, better construction and ergonomics, Live View, increased dynamic range, and better autofocus are all going to be extremely useful. Adorama, and B&H for that matter, are both closed for Passover, so I have to wait a week or two, but I don't mind. I wasn't expecting to be able to afford the upgrade for a year or two, so I can definitely wait a week.
I was considering the 50D as well, but decided against it for two main reasons. First, it'd be another $300, and as much as I'd wish otherwise, that put it out of my price range. Second, I wasn't convinced from the various reviews I've read and sample images I've seen that it's worth the extra money. I expect it will take a long time before I'm looking to do things that the 40D can't do, but I was not, ultimately, convinced that it would be any longer with the 50D.
My images are done transferring off the camera, so I am off to review and start some post-processing. We shall see what comes of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment