GalleryPortfolioBlogBooksStockAbout Me

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

tufted titmouse

tufted titmouse
Originally uploaded by mehampson

Baeolophus bicolor, the tufted titmouse. I was perched (haha) not too far from the feeder with the 100mm Macro on a tripod. Mostly I was getting black-capped chickadees and an occasional groups of wary goldfinches or sparrows or that would crash into the shrubs fighting, then fly off again, but if I waited long enough a pair of tufted titmice would show up.

They would hang back on the fence where it's overhung with branches, check me out for a bit, then go grab a seed and fly back to the fence. This, the best shot I got of one, was when it landed on the feeder and stood still for a minute or so.

Titmice are pretty curious little birds -- Wikipedia tells of them watching people in a house through the windows -- so it's possible he was just scoping me out from a better vantage point. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment